Friday, March 13, 2009

Irish Lessons

No, not Irish Language lessons, but authentic Irish-American Saint Patrick’s Day Protocol lessons!


I consider myself fairly pedigreed in matters Irish-American. I was raised with strong cultural awareness and pride in my heritage,  I hold Irish as well as U.S. citizenship, I play Irish music on my Irish Bouzouki, (although the term “music” has been argued!), and I performed Irish Step Dancing as a child, (that is, until wearing a kilt on weekends became less glamorous amongst my peers!) 


Now, as much as all that sounds like bragging, (and it would be fully justified if it was!), I say these things only to make a point. You see, due to an upbringing entrenched with cultural awareness, I am less at risk of making a cultural faux pas this March 17th than those more unfamiliar with their Irish background, (or even, *gasp* those not Irish!) 


“Faux Pas?” you may ask. Yes! Although no Irish person has come out and whined, (or sued,) about negative stereotypes like the sensitive, thinner-skinned types, there are certain things that people think are Irish, but have no basis in any Celtic culture, whatsoever.


So here, now, is a brief tutorial in what is acceptable Irish-American St. Patrick’s Day protocol, and what just simply looks bad.

Lesson 1.

Lesson 2.

Lesson 3.

Lesson 4.

Lesson 5.

For further viewing on the “Crichton Leprechaun,” please go to either; 

http://wheredagoldat.com or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vi35H9H4Og.




Congratulations! You are now one step closer to authenticity and further away from the “Plastic Paddy” stigma. But if you feel that you still need some Irish Language lessons, then repeat after me: “Éireann go Brách,” “Céad Mile Fáilte,” & “Póg mo thóin.”


Sláinte, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin